Oregano oil (Origanum vulgare) – is a product that should always be at hand. You should not confuse oregano oil with oil extracted from Origanum Majorana or Mexican oregano (Lippia graveolens), which are also sometimes called as oregano and are used for cooking spices, different dishes, which are especially common in Italy.
The essential oil is obtained by distillation from the leaves, a distinctive feature of which is the content of thymol and carvacrol, which can be up to 90%.
It should be borne in mind that the oregano oil is made in different ways and they can have different concentrations. They are prepared using different kinds of solvents, marjoram, thyme, wild bergamot.
Oregano oil: Tradition
The main known and spread, oregano oil received in Ancient Greece. It was the main antibacterial, reducing means used by Hippocrates. Oregano leaves traditionally were used to treat most diseases related to the respiratory and digestive systems.
The Greeks called spice as oreganos, which means "The pleasure of the mountain." They were the first to use the oil for medicinal purposes as a powerful antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and as a means of pain and inflammation and to fight infection.
Oregano oil properties
Oregano oil, in fact, is a mineral due to the density and the number of minerals contained in it. It includes calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium, copper, boron, manganese, and vitamins C and A (beta-carotene), niacin.
Oregano oil features
Oregano oil is a powerful antiseptic and can have both external and internal use. It is effective in the destruction of a whole range of harmful bacteria. Oregano oil should be obtained only from naturally grown plants that grow in mountainous areas with a clean environment.
In the wild plant grows in Greece and Turkey. It is the oil derived from these regions is the most powerful and strong, it is a real danger for microbes and is an effective analgesic medicine which is effective even compared with morphine.
Most importantly, the oregano oil does not create harmful strains in the body and causes no side-effects that happen while taking antibiotics. It is effective not only against dangerous and even deadly bacteria, but also it does not produce biological changes in the body. I.e. It nourishes the body, but not simply uses it. And to date, oregano oil is effective against all known forms of pathogens.
How to use oregano oil?
The spectrum of activity and application of oregano is very wide. This is a strong antifungal, anthelmintic. It has antibacterial activity against common pathogens, such as Staphylococcus aureus. Oregano oil is a great remedy for various fungal infections on the feet. It is good for colds, coughs, runny nose with oral administration. It is also effective for:
- arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis;
- bacterial infections and parasites;
- bee stings, poisonous spiders and snakes - oil has the ability to neutralize the poison;
- dandruff, diaper rash, cradle cap;
- diarrhea and intestinal gases;
- digestive problems: helps digestion and stimulates the production of bile;
- eczema, psoriasis, skin diseases and rashes;
- headaches, migraines;
- muscle pain - improves the functioning of joints, flexibility in the muscles;
- breathing problems - improves the condition of the respiratory system;
- thrush (white patches in the mouth, caused by the fungus genus Candida)
- strengthens the immune system;
- strengthens the flow of energy into the uterus.
Find out how to take oregano oil for candida.
How much oregano oil to take: oregano oil dosage
Oregano oil is used both internally and externally. In the power supply system is in the first place, it is important to maintain the digestive system in good shape, without developing harmful bacteria. Therefore, the oil is best to take 3 times a week. Do not eat anything 45 minutes before and after administration. The perfect time to take it, is 7-9 hours.
Oregano oil orally
The important thing to apply the oil is to observe the reaction of the body. If you get the correct proportion, you will feel the effect of the true oil immediately.
With oral administration you must follow the proportion of from 1 to 4 drops per a tablespoon of cedar (or olive) oil. Concentration should be selected individually. The main thing – is to mix the oil, while taking orally, shake up it again in the mouth (besides, it's good for the gums and teeth).
Within 15-20 minutes you cannot drink anything (if the dose gets too concentrated, take a spoonful of cedar oil and wash down with warm red or black tea). Drink tea after 15-20 minutes. It is desirable to use a quality Longjing tea with a high content of oils.
How to take oil of oregano: Topical use
Oil of oregano is concentrated enough. For application, it must be diluted with a base oil, jojoba. You can use linseed, olive and cedar oil.
Proportion: 4-6 drops per a tablespoon of base oil.
It is used for:
- for the itchy skin treatments. Oil of oregano is very effective against scabies, use it several times a day;
- skin infections (acne, psoriasis, eczema, Candida);
- as an anti-inflammatory for diseases of joints and tendons;
- as an anesthetic;
- arthritis, bursitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, muscle pain, sports injuries, back pain (oil has the ability to penetrate the skin and reach up to the synovial fluid in the joints);
- typical burns (as painful blisters);
- with ear infections (you need to rub the oil around the ear, you cannot drip it directly into the ear canal);
- for the treatment of respiratory system (breathe fumes directly from the vial of oil, combining with the internal reception: 1-2 drops to a teaspoon of cedar oil, 5 times a day);
- as a preservative, adding in food (it largely reduces bacterial growth, respectively, reduces the risk of food poisoning).
What is oil of oregano good for: click to learn more.
Side effects are minimal and are primarily associated with allergic reactions. Women should not take oregano oil during pregnancy. People with reduced pressure should also carefully take the oil as it reduces pressure.
What is the reason of analgesic effect when the oil is applied topically?
It penetrates and nourishes damaged cell. Of course, if the oil is true.
Are there any restrictions - how to take oregano oil and how many times a day you can take it?
Yes, better not more than three times a week. Or course, if there are problems
What the base oil can be used in addition to jojoba oil?
Avocado, macadamia, olive. But watch out for the quality, as it is the base oils are most vulnerable with respect to quality, and they can worsen essential oil.